Things have gotten a little serious here in my corner of the universe, and while I haven’t forgotten the reason why, it occurs to me that I need to heed Ellen’s advice take a break from the weighty sadness.
I thought I’d take this opportunity to share a few things about myself that you might not otherwise know just from reading my blog.
1. I have a size 6 waist and a size 8 ass. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find pants that fit?
2. I am addicted to lip balm. Not just any lip balm, either–Burt’s Bees beeswax lip balm. On Saturday I left the house without a tube and almost had to stop and buy some, so obsessed was I with the dry state of my lips.
3. I run into my desk at work at least twice a week, and when I say “run into,” I mean, of course, that I propel myself full force into the sharp reinforced industrial grade corner of the desk. The corner hits me right in that spot between thigh and butt. You know the place: there’s fat there, but there’s also a bone, and when you ram into a sharp corner with that part of your body it hurts. A lot. I don’t always injure the same side, but it’s always the exact same spot. Consequently, I have a silver dollar sized bruise on each side from August through May.
4. I also run into door frames on a regular basis.
5. I am the kind of person who would go to Starbucks and sit in a cushy chair for an hour, even when I didn’t particularly want coffee or tea, just to have an excuse to listen to my new MP3 player. I’m not saying I did. But I would.
6. I am also the kind of person who would rather post to my blog than grade papers. Stacks and stacks of papers, papers, papers, everywhere, oh, why did I assign so many papers?
7. And some days when I’m driving to work, and I see people on massive riding lawn mowers cutting grass for a living, or people holding those STOP/SLOW signs at a roadwork site, or people, you know, not teaching, I envy those people.